Sunday, March 29, 2015

Laying out the Garden

The Garden looks fantastic and it isn't even finished yet.  It is even better than I imagined when I first started planning it last January (2014) while in Florida.   I am sore all over but it is a fantastic feeling.  People always complain about these types of jobs but for me there is nothing better than working in the fresh air and sunshine to build something of worth. 

The only concern I have is how much the flagstone patio will heat up the bedrooms in summer although it will be welcome in winter.  I'll have to figure out how to mitigate that... and how and where to plant wisteria.  We had sand and mulch delivered yesterday afternoon and after one bbq and one birthday party, I am very happy with our progress.  I laid out all the beds and mulched on one half of the yard while K laid weed barrier and moved two tons of sand from the street to the back of the house. 

We still have to level the sand and lay the flagstones but the beds are ready for planting, all 96 square feet of them.  This is a dream come true for me to have such a large space for growing my own food. My goal is to grow and preserve all our own produce in the next two years. K does his own thing with the garden beds and wants two of the six 4x4 plots.  I plan to start with three and fill the last one with sand for k.  There is always room to expand. 
Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment